I think my face is going to fall off.
For the hardcore Giggling Followers, you will remember that in the summer of 2016 I had a root canal while living in South Korea. It was actually probably the best decision at the time. When I was home for a vacation, my Canadian dentist did tell me that I would need one. And getting in in South Korea meant that I would only be paying about half the price. That was pretty awesome. The English speaking dentist that I had was so far away from my apartment but it was worth it.
When I arrived back home in October of 2016, we had literally just finished up the whole procedure. It took six weeks of me going back and forth – mostly because I could only go on Saturdays. I didn’t have insurance at that time so I paid out of pocket for it. But thankfully, I was careful with my money and it didn’t hit me too hard.
Now, living in Canada, I have insurance coverage. Since I am technically self-employed as a nanny, I purchase this insurance for myself. It’s not *too* much, about $107 per month right now. Although I was informed in December that it will be going up to $117.
But my question is this: do I really NEED the benefits? Sure it feels great to go to the dentist, get my cleaning done and then get 80% of the money back into my bank account, but what about all those months that I don’t go to the dentist?
I’m thinking about this now because I just booked a dentist appointment. With a Toronto dentist. I love my dentist in Kitchener, but I need this done now and don’t want to try to get a Friday appointment 6 weeks from now in Kitchener.
I most definitely need a cleaning. I’ve been putting that off for far too long. When I was at my dentist in April, they said they saw a little dark spot under my root canal. This could just be it settling (almost a year later?) or it could be a little infection – if that was the case they could drill in to get the problem and not disturb the crown. They said to keep an eye on it and to keep my mind on how my jaw felt etc. I went back in July to have a chip fixed and they had a specialist see me. Now, for anyone reading this blog, it might not be very obvious but I am incredibly stubborn. So this American specialist sits down, and my tooth had been kind of hurting a little bit, so he sits there and we are chatting about how I got it done in South Korea and stuff and he goes “well the problem here is that you got it done in South Korea.” Which makes the stubbornness in me just stand STRAIGHT UP. The office where I got it done in Korea was more high tech than the one in Kitchener, and the lady who did it had probably completed all her schooling before this little whippersnapper was even out of diapers. How dare he sit there and tell me there is a problem just because I got it done in South Korea.
So anyways – I was told that he would have to do the whole thing ALL OVER AGAIN. Which is just plain bananas considering I was told at the last visit that they wouldn’t have to remove the crown.
Flash forward to now. I have ignored this tooth since April. Yeah….not the best choice, I know. But now it’s getting almost unbearable. And I think it’s giving me headaches. Like I have headaches all the time. And only since my tooth pain has started to increase.
Hence the dentist appointment tomorrow.
Now let’s flip back to benefits: I have them. I pay for them every month but I don’t use them every month. With the looming cost of fixing this tooth hanging over me, I’m freaking out. I know I will be getting some of it back from my insurance, but wouldn’t it just be better for me to take that payment money every month, and put it into a savings account for when things like this happen?
My friend’s husband has a super great job and they don’t have insurance. She says that they can just deal with whatever comes their way without having the pay the monthly premium. And ya know what – I’m starting to maybe agree. I would have to consciously put the money away each month. That’s not a big deal, I do it for taxes anyways and I have never touched that account. But I will probably have to just to cover the leftover of this dental bill and then put it back before tax time (no biggie). But wouldn’t it be better to just have the account sitting there with the monthly payment to delve into for cases such as these?
I’m on the fence guys. Any thoughts?